Spend some time with the feature if it interests you, but for a Cliff Notes version, Yahoo!’s new political and news blog, Upshot, has highlighted what it feels are the five biggest revelations (and be sure to click through so you can see Upshot’s justifications for the points):
- The U.S. intelligence system has exploded in size since the Sept. 11 attacks.
- Only a few officials in the Department of Defense have access to all of the top-secret activities and information.
- Agencies are collecting so much data that they don’t have enough translators or researchers to analyze it.
- Turf wars among agencies can prevent the sharing of information.
- This confusion has had real consequences.