3 More Men Accused in Alleged UK Terrorist Plot
LONDON (AP) — Three men from central England appeared in court Wednesday to be accused by prosecutors of taking part in an alleged plot to attack Britain's far-right English Defense League.
Anzal Hussain, 24, Mohammed Saud, 22, and 22-year-old Zohaib Ahmed appeared Wednesday at Westminster Magistrates' Court charged with preparing an act of terrorism, which carries a potential life sentence.
Deputy Chief Magistrate Daphne Wickham ordered the three men from Birmingham, central England, held in prison custody until a hearing on July 31.
On Tuesday, three other men were also ordered held. All six will appear together at the hearing at London's Central Criminal Court.
Prosecutors allege that the men were involved in manufacturing an improvised explosive device and planned to attack a rally of the English Defense League.
The English Defense League claims to be a peaceful opponent of radical Islam, but opponents accuse the organization of racism. Some of its demonstrations have turned violent, while the government has previously banned the group from marching through some mainly Muslim neighborhoods.
In a separate case, London police said that two men detained in anti-terrorism raids last week in the British capital had been released without charge.
Police had arrested seven people on July 5-7 in a series of swoops.
Scotland Yard said an 18-year-old man and a 24-year-old man detained at an address close to London's Olympic stadium had been freed without charge.
The 24-year-old man was hit by a Taser gun during his arrest, but did not require hospital treatment. A 30-year-old woman also detained had previously been freed by police.
Authorities have said none of the recent alleged plots have any link to London's Olympic Games, which begin on July 27.